2018 Official Rules
***Some things passed in previous derbies that
will no longer be allowed! They will not
slide by regardless of car count! If you can't build to these rules,
be ready to modify your car or load it back up!***
You will be disqualified if you:
1. Hit the white driver's door, unless you are pushed into it.
2. Remove your helmet or seatbelt or leave your car, unless you are
on fire. If you do so, you will
be done for the entire derby!!!
3. If the heat is stopped to help you, ie. fire or rollover
4. If you are involved in a rollover, and the car that rolled the
other over is stuck, both cars will be out for that heat.
5. Have ether or starting fluid of any kind in the car while in the
arena during a heat.
6. If your helmet comes
off during the course of competition, you are done for that heat,
same as a fire or rollover.
7. If three (3) wheels are on the dirt berm,
or two (2) wheels go over the stripe at the entrances to the arena.
1. All cars will be impounded after inspection. You will NOT
be allowed to work on the car while it is impounded. Be ready to run
before you tech in!
2 . No refunds will be given after the National Anthem has begun.
3 . NO ARGUING WITH THE JUDGES AT ANY TIME! The decision of the judges
is FINAL, and arguing with them (driver, spouse, or pit crew) will
result in an immediate disqualification.
4 . All drivers must know, understand, and obey the rules. If in doubt,
ASK. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse!
5 . No unsportsmanlike tactics will be tolerated, and will result
6 . Every car will go through a safety and technical inspection.
Only the driver and tech crew is allowed with the car during inspection.
You will get two (2) chances to pass. If you have not complied by
the 2nd attempt you will not run. Must be through inspection by 3pm.
Judges ruling is final! Save
yourself any problems and build to the rules! If you have
a question, PLEASE CALL AND ASK FIRST!
7 . Any driver or member of their party caught consuming alcohol
or drugs before or during the derby will result in the team's disqualification
from the derby with no refund.
8 . All cars will be subject to re-inspection at any time; also,
all cars in championship will be re-inspected.
9 . Drivers must lower their flag and shut their car off when no
longer in play. Keep your helmet on and your seat belt
buckled, or you will be done for the remainder of the show!
10. If your helmet comes off during the course of competition, you
are done for that heat.
11. If your car is on fire, the heat will be stopped, and you will
be out for the remainder of that heat.
12. If there is an axle or bumper on the track, the heat may be stopped
to remove it for safety purposes.
13. You must make a hit, under power, at least every two (2) minutes;
whether active, stalled, or stuck, you have two (2) minutes. Sandbagging
and/or teaming will not be tolerated. If the last two cars in the
championship heat are stuck we will pull them apart and restart the
14. No one under the age of 16 will be allowed to compete or be in
the pit area, NO exceptions.
15. Heat winners will be impounded after their heats; you will be
allowed to open the hood and disconnect the battery, and that's it.
Cars will be released to work on at the start of
the hard luck heat.
16. Championship cars have from being released from impound to 5
minutes from the end of the 80's class heat to be in line
and ready for the final. Cars not in line and ready at this time
(we will announce it) will be counted out. This
will also apply to the pitman, you will have 5 minutes from the
end of the championship to be in line to go. We
will now be using the 80's cars in pitman, so this should not be
17. Only 1 driver and 2 pitmen per car allowed in. NO
EXTRA PIT PASSES ARE AVAILABLE!
18. NO FULL SIZE GAS TANKS CAN BE USED!!!
22. Halo Bar may go over the roof, but not to exceed 6"
from the top of the roof to the top of the bar
1. American/Foreign two-wheel drive passenger cars and station wagons
only. No convertibles, trucks, vans, four wheel drives, commercial
vehicles (hearses, limos) or Chrysler Imperials allowed.
2. Safety Equipment:
• Long sleeve shirts and pants strongly suggested,
no open toed shoes allowed.
• DOT approved helmet required.
• Eye protection (safety glasses, goggles, or face shield)
• Seat belts are required and must be worn while in the arena
and during inspection.
• Each pit must have a working fire extinguisher.
• Driver and pit crew must be at least 16 years of age. Proof
of age required.
3. Vehicle Requirements:
• ALL CARS MUST STAY FACTORY STOCK EXCEPT FOR THE RULES BELOW:
• All pre-ran cars must follow the same rules. Pre-ran car frames may have one (1) 4 inch by 6 inch plate per frame rail on on
one surface rail only. Plates may not be spliced or rolled. Plates must be flat to the frame and are not to exceed 1/8 inch thickness.
• All glass, mirrors, loose chrome and moldings, lights, fender
extensions and other loose trim must be removed from the car.
Nothing may be attached to the roof of your car besides roof fins.
• All flammable materials must be removed from the interior
of the car, padded dash and drivers side door panel may stay.
• NO reinforcing of body, frame, suspension, or bumper in
any way, except the drivers door.
• NO altering or adding weight to the car in any way.
• NO debris or filling of tires, doors, fenders, bumpers,
or any other cavity of the car. This includes water, sand, mud,
concrete, steel, spray foam, bedliner, etc.
• Trailer hitches and any bracing must be completely removed
from the car.
• Wagon flip-up compartment lids may be removed; however,
if left in, they must be welded, 2" with 6" space, and
a 10" inspection hole cut in the center of the lid.
• ALL stock gas
tanks must be removed.
3A. Fullsize cars: you may weld the
upper frame seams, from the front of the upper A-arm forward. 1/2"
wide weld max, no added material, just the bead, only the top outside
seam. No other frame welding is allowed. No tilting Crown Vics and Lincolns with any welding.
3B. 65-73 Chrysler: you may plate the open area of the "Y"
top and bottom, same thickness material and only wide enough to
cover the gap, with only enough weld to attach the plate to the
open area. Plates may not wrap around frame in any way, they may
only cover the open area No filling the inside of this 'box' with
pipe or any other material.
4. All equipment must be standard.
• Bolts/all thread no bigger than 1"
• Chains/cable no bigger than 3/8", no welded links on
chain, chains may not exceed 36" long.
• Washers or plates not to exceed 3" diameter or 3"x3"
• Maximum four (4)
pieces of all thread may go to or through the frame on whole car,
two in the front must be in-front of A arm and two in the rear must be behind the rear end.
6. Body Mounts:
• With the exception of the radiator core support, all body mounts must stay in their stock position.
•If the rubber spacer is removed, replacement spacer must leave one (1) inch gap between car and frame and may not exceed original body mount diameter. Body
bolts may be replaced with new bolts and washers, but cannot exceed the stock size bolt (3/8" max)
• Radiator must stay in the stock position.
• No reserve water tanks.
• Electric fans are allowed,
they may not reinforce or support the radiator or core support in
• No bungee cords, may use chain/wire/metal strap/motorcycle
straps to secure radiator.
No antifreeze in the radiator, water
only! This will be enforced!
• Must match corporate lines, ie. Ford to Ford, GM to GM etc.
• Must be mounted in the stock position with stock mounts,
may have one support chain per motor mount.
• Firewall can be bent in, or you may cut an opening for distributor clearance, however,
any excess holes in the firewall must be covered from inside engine compartment, with sheet metal, mud
flaps, tire tubes, etc. for driver's protection!
• No carb/distributor protectors allowed.
• Electric fuel pumps are allowed, but must be run with a
separate clearly marked switch, may be left on factory key switch
if it is used.
• No open ended manifolds, pipes must exit out of engine compartment
or behind the driver. Headers are allowed.
• HERBY DERBY: 4 cylinder fwd or rwd cars, 6 cyl allowed only
if front wheel drive. Maximum 107" wheelbase.
9. Transmissions/Rear ends:
• Transmissions may have one (1) support chain at the mount.
• You can use an aftermarket cooler, but must use high pressure
lines (NO fuel line) and they must be incased
and secured if in the car.
• For your safety, keep transmission access holes to a minimum. If it is too big you will be asked
to cover part of it with sheet metal, tire tubes, mud flap, etc. (Judge's
discretion) for driver's protection against fire or injury.
• Rear ends must match manufacturer to manufacturer; no truck
rear ends, passenger car axles only.
• Posi-traction, spools, and/or welded spiders allowed.
• Car hoods can have eight(8) securements , chains, bolts, pins
or angle irons
• Angle iron may be no larger than 2"x2"x4"
long, only one bolt per iron
• At least one (1) 8" diameter fire hole is required
• Hoods cannot be welded shut, must be able to be opened or removed for inspection. A
huge hole in the middle and the sides welded does not count!
• Hoods cannot be chained to the bumper.
• Batteries must be secured on the passenger side floorboard,
in front of the seat area, and covered.
• No bungee cords, metal strap or chain is recommended.
• Two (2) batteries are allowed.
• At least two (2) 1" bars, pipes, irons, or straps must
be mounted in the windshield opening. You may use 1 center bar and
screen (expanded metal, etc., NO window screen) over the driver
side of windshield instead. See diagram for suggested mounting.
13. Driver's Door:
• NO WHITE or BRIGHT SILVER CARS ALLOWED.
Driver's door must be white NO EXCEPTIONS. Entire car - no white or bright silver
• Driver's door MUST be painted white, no exceptions.
• Drivers door may be completely welded shut.
• Drivers door may be reinforced, reinforcement
can go from behind the left front wheelwell to 12" behind the
driver's side B-pillar (end of driver door).
• NO outside loose metal.
• Reinforcement is strictly for DRIVER SAFETY.
14. Doors (except driver door):
• May be bolted, chained, or welded shut.
• If welded, welds cannot be longer than 2x2" with at
least a 6" space between welds, outside seams only.
• Must be at least 12" high, and a contrasting color,
on front doors.
• Roof fins are to be within reasonable size. If deemed too large you may be asked to remove it. They are not to be
fastened to cage and must be located on back half of car.
• If two cars show up with the same number, in the same class,
first car to register keeps the number, and the other (s) will need
to add a letter or digit to theirs.
• Can be bolted, chained, or welded shut. No extreme (ie. using
heavy machinery or 6 hours with a sledgehammer) pre-bending to make
wedges or sedagons. No creasing in new body lines or seams.
• Bolts can be no larger than 1", at least 6" apart;
washers or plates no larger than 3".
• Chains may not go from trunk lid to or around bumper.
• Welds cannot exceed 2" long, must be at least 6"
17. Gas Tanks:
• Original gas tank must be removed.
• A DOT approved marine style tank, fuel cell or jerry can
shall be placed behind the drivers seat, rigidly secured by chain
or metal strap, no bungee cords or rope. This
is mandatory in all classes for your safety.
• Please make sure you have no fuel leaks for everyone's safety
• Bumper shocks must be secured from bumper to car.
• Bumpers may be secured by chains, welds, or bolts.
• Chains may not go to hood or trunk lid.
• Front bumper can be welded solid to frame
• No more than 8" of weld total per side to attach shocks
to frame, you may weld the bumper to shock, you may compress and
18a. You may attach the front bumper
with two (2) 1" wide x 1/8" thick max straps, welded 2"
total to frame, ahead of the core support. The strap may not go
to or behind the core support. It can go around the bumper and be
welded to the bottom of the frame, ahead of the core, 2" of
the strap total welded to frame. You
may also weld two (2) straps of the same size from the deck lid to
the face of the rear bumper, again 1" wide x 1/8" thick
max and only 2" of the strap welded to the deck lid and face
of bumper. Straps on the rear may not go around the bumper or over
the top of the deck lid, only enough to attach to the car.
• Bumpers may be no higher than 24" from bottom of bumper
to the ground.
• Bumpers must have at least one (1) hole to verify for reinforcement.
• Bumpers may NOT have jagged edges, must be left stock or
hammer ends in, you may fold ends in but you may not weld them to
19. Rear Window Straps - All Cars (Optional)
20. Electric Fuel pumps run by toggle switch must be painted and must have " E "
6 inches high by both door numbers.
• No bracing of any kind to jack up car, may only be raised
with springs/spacers/tires. One spring per wheel.
• Leaf spring cars may not have the rear end chained to the
• Coil springs may be welded or chained to rear end only.
• DOT approved light truck or passenger car tires only, no
• NO studded tires on drive wheels.
• NO filled or doubled tires, tubes are allowed.
• Flappers are allowed.
21. Windshield bar requirements: see attached diagram. Windshield
bars may not attach to cage.
ALL CARS MUST HAVE 2 WINDSHIELD BARS, OR 1 CENTER
BAR AND EXPANDED METAL SCREEN (NO WINDOW SCREEN!) OVER THE DRIVER
BELOW ARE 3 VIEWS FROM FRONT OF A CAR
23. Driver's compartment: You
are permitted to run a perimeter "box" cage, consisting
of a bar run horizontally (side to side) directly behind the
driver's seat, a bar run horizontally in the dashboard area, and one
door bar per side connecting them, along the inside of the front doors.
All bars must stay inside the passenger compartment.
Bars may not exceed 3" diameter, bolt-in attachment plates if
used may not exceed 5"x5"x1/4".
You may anchor only the bar behind the seat to the frame, one vertical
support per side. No diagonal kickers. No other bars may go to the
frame, horizontal bars must be at least 12" above the floor.
You may also run a halo bar vertically from the behind the seat bar,
but it must stay inside the car.
The previous year's bar arrangement (H-frame, etc.) is still allowed,
to it you may connect the passenger upright to the dash bar with one
ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS SETUP PLEASE CALL!!!